by UFSocial contributor Brooke Heil
In 2014, Facebook released carousel ads. The purpose of carousel ads is to allow brands/companies to show a variety of photos and/or links in the same amount of space that usually only one photo can take. Think of it as a horizontal Instagram feed meant for branding. There are many benefits to carousel ads:
- They save space on users’ newsfeeds.
- There’s a 30-50% lower cost-per-conversion and 20-30% lower cost-per-click than single-image link ads.
- Images are at the forefront, therefore appealing to the Instagram-obsessed generation.
- The format allows for different products, or different angles/features of one product, to be displayed side-by-side (up to 10 for desktop and up to 5 for mobile).
- They are mobile-friendly.
- Demographics and Budgeting are built-in to the design center.
- Call To Action Buttons are provided at the bottom of each card.
- Insights are available, allowing you to tweak your ads to improve performance.
- There’s increased web traffic – you are giving the customer more options to click and buy resulting in better click through rates.
- You are able to upload that ad to Instagram simultaneously via Facebook.
While this advertising format may be new to some, it is important to hop on board and utilize this new feature on your company’s Facebook page. Adobe’s Digital Marketing blog says, “Through multi-product ads, advertisers can offer a user more than one product to choose from, reducing the amount of clicks necessary to get from an ad to an order – which is great for direct response objectives. As you can see, it can really pay off!
Now, an example. A company that I am partnering with, 27th Star Co., allowed me to create a carousel ad for them. 27th Star Co. is a small, homemade goods company looking to boost traffic to their site. Since 27th Star is a small startup, their budget is very tight. A carousel ad is perfect for them due to the lower costs-per-click and ability to showcase a few of their products available for purchase all at one time.
For their campaign, we decided to keep it simple, as it aligns with the simple theme of the company and website. We decided to showcase three of their most-loved products (the Penny quilt, the James pillows, and the Macho quilt) and then to promote the custom ordering option for the last card. The company tagline was added in the text box to give customers an idea of what 27th Star Co. is all about, short and sweet. Here is what it looks like (the header was cut off during preview, but it is still visible throughout the carousel slideshow):
For those of you who are wondering, the mobile-friendly version looks like this:
The photos were chosen to make sure they fall within the patriotic and earth tone theme of 27th Star Co., and so that the photos looked good together. Visuals are just as important as the links and information you’re providing. There is a link to the website provided in the header to complement the ‘Shop Now’ button next to the photo’s caption. That way, users have an extra opportunity to click over to 27th Star’s site and shop around.
As I mentioned earlier, 27th Star has a tight budget, therefore the budget option would be set low. Also, we would make the duration short for the first round, in order for us to use this as a trial-and-error period where we can see which cards get the most clicks, so that we can change things up in the future.
Since 27th Star Co. is a home goods and accessories company, our demographic is both men and women of all ages. We would include almost everyone in our search range. Setting the Interests section to align with the basis of 27th Star helps to narrow down more potential customers, though.
To review, carousel ads are great ways to simultaneously promote multiple items or products at once, for the price of one ad spot. Plus, they are easily customizable and interchangeable based on the data that Insights provides for you. I highly suggest that all companies look into using carousel ads to boost traffic.
Featured image editorial credit: Alexey Boldin / Shutterstock.com